MAX materials and MXene materials are new two-dimensional materials that have attracted much attention recently, with excellent physical, chemical, and mechanical properties, and also have shown broad application prospects in lots of fields. This is a comprehensive guide to the properties, applications, and development trends of MAX and MXene materials.
Precisely What is MAX material?
MAX phase material is really a layered carbon nitride inorganic non-metallic material composed of M, A, X elements on the periodic table, collectively called “MAX phase”. M represents transition metal elements, like titanium, zirconium, hafnium, etc., A represents the main group elements, such as aluminum, silicon, germanium, etc., X represents carbon or nitrogen. MAX-phase materials, each atomic layer is composed of M, A, X, the three components of the alternating composition arrangement, with hexagonal lattice structure. Because of the electrical conductivity of metal and strength, high-temperature resistance and corrosion resistance of structural ceramics, they are popular in high-temperature structural materials, high-temperature antioxidant coatings, high-temperature lubricants, electromagnetic shielding as well as other fields.
Properties of MAX material
MAX material is actually a new kind of layered carbon nitride inorganic non-metallic material with the conductive and thermal conductive qualities of metal, consisting of three elements with the molecular formula of Mn 1AXn (n=1, 2 or 3), where M means the transition metal, A means the main-group elements, and X refers to the aspects of C or N. The MXene material is really a graphene-like structure obtained through the MAX phase treatment with two-dimensional transition metal carbides, nitrides, or carbon-nitrides. MXenes material are novel two-dimensional nanomaterials made from carbon, nitrogen, oxygen, and halogens.
Applications of MAX materials
(1) Structural materials: the excellent physical properties of MAX materials make them have a wide range of applications in structural materials. For instance, Ti3SiC2 is a common MAX material with good high-temperature performance and oxidation resistance, which may be used to manufacture high-temperature furnaces and aero-engine components.
(2) Functional materials: Besides structural materials, MAX materials are also utilized in functional materials. As an example, some MAX materials have good electromagnetic shielding properties and conductivity and could be used to manufacture electromagnetic shielding covers, coatings, etc. In addition, some MAX materials likewise have better photocatalytic properties, and electrochemical properties can be utilized in photocatalytic and electrochemical reactions.
(3) Energy materials: some MAX materials have better ionic conductivity and electrochemical properties, which can be used in energy materials. As an example, K4(MP4)(P4) is one from the MAX materials with higher ionic conductivity and electrochemical activity, which can be used a raw material to produce solid-state electrolyte materials and electrochemical energy storage devices.
What are MXene materials?
MXene materials really are a new type of two-dimensional nanomaterials obtained by MAX phase treatment, just like the structure of graphene. The top of MXene materials can communicate with more functional atoms and molecules, and a high specific area, good chemical stability, biocompatibility, and tunable physical properties, etc, characterize them. The preparation methods of MXene materials usually include the etching treatment of the MAX phase and the self-templating method, etc. By adjusting the chemical composition and structure of MXene materials, the tuning of physical properties including electrical conductivity, magnetism and optics could be realized.
Properties of MXene materials
MXene materials really are a new type of two-dimensional transition metal carbide or nitride materials comprising metal and carbon or nitrogen elements. These materials have excellent physical properties, such as high electrical conductivity, high elasticity, good oxidation, and corrosion resistance, etc., in addition to good chemical stability and the opportunity to maintain high strength and stability at high temperatures.
Applications of MXene materials
(1) Energy storage and conversion: MXene materials have excellent electrochemical properties and ionic conductivity and they are widely used in energy storage and conversion. As an example, MXene materials can be used as electrode materials in supercapacitors and lithium-ion batteries, improving electrode energy density and charge/discharge speed. Furthermore, MXene materials can also be used as catalysts in fuel cells to enhance the activity and stability from the catalyst.
(2) Electromagnetic protection: MXene materials have good electromagnetic shielding performance, and conductivity may be used in electromagnetic protection. As an example, MXene materials can be used as electromagnetic shielding coatings, electromagnetic shielding cloth, along with other applications in electronic products and personal protection, enhancing the effectiveness and stability of electromagnetic protection.
(3) Sensing and detection: MXene materials have good sensitivity and responsiveness and may be used in sensing and detection. As an example, MXene materials can be used gas sensors in environmental monitoring, which can realize high sensitivity and selectivity detection of gases. Furthermore, MXene materials could also be used as biosensors in medical diagnostics as well as other fields.
Development trend of MAX and MXene Materials
As new 2D materials, MAX and MXene materials have excellent performance and application prospects. In the future, using the continuous progress of technology and science as well as the increasing demand for applications, the preparation technology, performance optimization, and application regions of MAX and MXene materials is going to be further expanded and improved. The subsequent aspects could become the focus of future research and development direction:
Preparation technology: MAX and MXene materials are mainly prepared by chemical vapor deposition, physical vapor deposition and liquid phase synthesis. Down the road, new preparation technologies and methods may be further explored to comprehend a far more efficient, energy-saving and environmentally friendly preparation process.
Optimization of performance: The performance of MAX and MXene materials is definitely high, however, there is still room for more optimization. In the future, the composition, structure, surface treatment as well as other aspects of the material could be studied and improved in depth to improve the material’s performance and stability.
Application areas: MAX materials and MXene materials have already been widely used in many fields, but you may still find many potential application areas to get explored. In the future, they can be further expanded, like in artificial intelligence, biomedicine, environmental protection along with other fields.
To conclude, MAX materials and MXene materials, as new two-dimensional materials with excellent physical, chemical and mechanical properties, show a wide application prospect in lots of fields. With the continuous progress of technology and science and also the continuous improvement of application demand, the preparation technology, performance optimization and application parts of MAX and MXene materials is going to be further expanded and improved.
MAX and MXene Materials Supplier
TRUNNANO Luoyang Trunnano Tech Co., Ltd supply high purity and super fine MAX phase powders, such as Ti3AlC2, Ti2AlC, Ti3SiC2, V2AlC, Ti2SnC, Mo3AlC2, Nb2AlC, V4AlC3, Mo2Ga2C, Cr2AlC, Ta2AlC, Ta4AlC3, Ti3AlCN, Ti2AlN, Ti4AlN3, Nb4AlC3, etc. Send us an email or click on the needed products to send an inquiry.